You Really Can be a Successful Freelancer

 The title says it all - you can be successful as a freelancer. I speak from personal experience as a freelance writer, but it can happen no matter your area of expertise. My goal for this blog is to help others enjoy the freedom and success that comes when you make a living from freelancing. The first step for anyone is to define what success means to them.

My Start Toward Success

I began this journey almost 9 years ago. At the time, I just wanted to make a little extra money from my writing. I stumbled across some information that said I could get paid for writing articles online. I got started right away by writing an article and getting it published on a site called Hubpages. 

I soon learned other ways of making money with content mills and bid sites. I read every article and blog by successful writers and followed tips. I bought ebooks, subscribed to blogs and took courses to help me learn my craft. 

It was only a few short months before I earned enough to quit my full-time job to write for a living. To reach that point, my goals changed as I strove to earn more money. I still remember how hard it was to find time to write enough to earn $250 a week. That was my first major goal. Once I reached it, I felt I had achieved a certain level of success. 

Onward and Upward

Once I left my job to write full-time, my goal was to continue to find steady work and earn enough to support myself and my daughter. I got to a point where I was able to buy a car and then a home based on my freelance income. I felt I had reached another level of success when I signed the closing papers for my property. 

Today, I continue to reevaluate my career and think about what I want for my future. My goals change and in some ways my idea of success changes. Overall, I feel I have attained success by being able to provide for my family with my income from writing. However, I still have things I want to accomplish, like planning for retirement, earning enough to take a couple weeks off for vacation, and being able to write for myself as well as for my clients. 

With this blog, I hope to inspire others to define success for themselves and to help them work toward reaching that point, whatever it is. In the comments, let me know what would make you feel successful as a freelancer. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Managing Your Pricing as a Freelancer

How to Manage Your Content